Sunday, February 28, 2010

Nestabilities scallop card

I haven't focused on card making for a while, so here's one!! I decided that I wanted to make use of some of my collection of nestabilities that my sister bought for me. For this card, all, except the button are from Kaszazz. The cardstock is castaway. I used vintage distress ink to shade. I made an embossed image from cuttlebug and then inked it for a distress look. I punched out a daisy and cut a strip from the card. I punched out another daisy from the same cardstock, I just didn't ink it. I love the technique where you create a border around the nestabilities - not sure who to thank for that one! What you do, is , once you've cut your image out, you leave the stencil in, turn it over and using a sponge, ink along the edge of the stencil onto the card stock. Once inked, remove the stencil, and you have a nice border around it. Pretty cool. Once I did this card, I realized that you could do so much with this layout - I"ll have to experiment and see what I else I come up with.

Monday, February 22, 2010

My Soulmate

I made this page a while ago. I think the base paper is from Kaisercraft. I used rubons and ribbon from Kaszazz, vellum words from CM and alphabet stickers from Kaszazz. I love using the proof sheets from photos in a layout. I really love the distressed look of the paper. Of course , if you're wanting to create that look yourself, you can use sandpaper, but a more effective look is using acrylic paint in random dabs and then roughing it up with some scrunched paper. Please note, that I didn't do that here, but it's always fun to create your own backgrounds!

Saturday, February 20, 2010


This was using similar papers to the post before, also at the crop. It is also waiting for some journalling! I enjoyed making a patchwork design, and using my permaball marker to create stitching around the journal box and of course on the quilting blocks. I used our new scallop border punch along the bottom and a sticker from CM. I'm really enjoying putting different patterns together. For that, I'd like to thank Nicole for being an inspiration to me, teaching me to be brave about patterns and colour!

A page with no name!

I went to a crop last night and managed to do some of my own album for a change - about me. The album that I"m working on is my story, my likes and dislikes, my growing years and what I remember (yep, I know what you're thinking, it's gonna be a short album!). The interesting thing about doing this, is memories suddenly pop out of nowhere and it helps you to see just how far you've come.
With this page, I used CM papers. I distressed the edges with a distress tool, I edged with vintage photo distress ink. I punched flowers and used white paint dabber to highlight.I used antique gold embelllishments and a CM word Sticker. I also stamped the journal box, which has yet to be completed!
I'm experimenting with putting various papers together for an eclectic look. Hope you like it.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Birthday Butterfly card

Another one of my make and take cards. For this one, I scored the background piece with even lines and then used Dusty concord distress ink and Broken china distress ink with a blender tool. I then stamped the 'grasses' stamp in Black soot distress ink along the bottom. I stuck down some white grosgrain ribbon along the bottom of the background. On a separate piece of card, I rubbed the blender with the same colours. I then stamped the script stamp with black over it. Out of this card, I punched 3 butterflies and inked the edges in Black soot. I mounted them onto the ribbon and added a rhinestone. I stamped the Happy birthday, cut it out and inked the edges with dusty concord. The Happy Birthday was then mounted on the background piece and the piece was then stuck down onto a base white card.
These Make and take ideas are budget ones , using very little material, and so costing only a small amount for those of you on a budget.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Motorbike distress card

I've recently been playing around with different make and take cards for a show. I wanted the card to be relatively easy, yet have a different technique which made it exciting for the people creating it. I created the background by rubbing 3 different coloured distress in across an acrylic block and then spritzing it with water. Place the block onto the cardstock and give it a little swirl to spread the ink. I then stamped the versatile frame onto the background using Chestnut roan ink and stamped the biker in the same colour. I used an aquabrush and the distress inks to colour in the biker and then inked around the card and biker with the Chestnut roan chalk ink. I finished it off by putting brads and ribbon top and bottom . The frame is stuck flat while the biker is mounted.
Distress inks used: Fired brick, Marmalade, Mustard seed.